History & Previous Lifeboats

Previous Lifeboats

These are all of the Lifeboats that have been stationed at Padstow since 1827. The first Lifeboats were launched from Hawkers Cove, inside the mouth of the Camel Estuary. This first involved the crew running the few miles to the station from Padstow when the rockets were sounded. Later a local taxi was used to get the crew there when needed after mustering in the town.

See the previous station boats

Previous Stations

There were three stations at Cove with the final one being used until 1962. Due to the silting up of the estuary, the slipway station was closed and the Lifeboat was kept afloat until a more suitable site for launching was found. For many years there were always two Lifeboats on station with a smaller pulling (or rowed) Lifeboat and a larger engine propelled vessel. In 1967 a new station was sighted at Trevose Head and the site has been used ever since. A Land Rover is now used to get the crew to the Lifeboat station when they are needed, and pagers have long replaced the signalling maroons.

Stationed at Trevose Head

Stationed in the Camel Estuary

  • Joseph Hiram Chadwick – 1952 – 1967

  • Princess Mary – 1929 – 1952

  • Edmund Harvey – 1901-1929

  • Helen Peele – 1901 – 1929

  • James Stevens No. 4 – 1899 – 1900

Stationed at Hawkers Cove

  • Bassett Green – 1951 – 1962

  • Stanhope Smart – 1947 – 1951

  • JHW – 1939 – 1947

  • Docea Chapman – 1938 – 1939

  • John and Sarah Eliza Stych – 1931 – 1938

  • Arab II – 1901 – 1931

  • Arab – 1883 – 1900

  • Albert Edward II – 1864 – 1883

  • Albert Edward – 1836 – 1864

  • Mariner’s Friend – 1827 – 1856